"I am all in favor of the skeptical mind. Do not believe anything unless you have experienced it. Do not believe anything - go on questioning, however long it takes." - Osho

Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Osama is dead, then?

Looks like Osama Bin Laden is dead. This, of course, is good news, but as my brother so wisely pointed out, all of the dancing and celebrating in the streets seems a little distasteful. However, at least the no.1 most wanted man in the world died, and can now make place for a new one.


I understand why they dumped his body at sea; they didn't want it to become a shrine for religious extremists to flock to. However, I wish the press and government would stop bullshitting us and telling us it's part of Islamic tradition; the single thing that was Islamic about it was quick disposal of the body. Another thing, though, is that this lack of physical, concrete evidence is going to give rise to a whole lot of messy conspiracy theories. The 9/11 "truthers" will be all over this one like a fat dude on a beefburger. But we'll have to see how it pans out.

One good thing that comes of it is a huge upsurge in support for Obama all of a sudden. Democrats are so much more science- friendly than the other main parties, to me it's important to see them get another term in office... Not to mention, I really love Barack Obama. A lot. Not that I can vote.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Beccy :)

    You're so right about the conspiracy theories, they're out there all ready! Its so annoying and really isn't helped by the government changing their story all the time! How can you expect credibility when one day "No one fired back",then "Some people fired back" then, "No, actually, only one guy fired back!" Argh!

    I understand that government's may not always be truthful in these matters, but you would expect them to be savvy enough to stick to their truth / lie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine if the USA was dumb enough to lie about killing/putting him at sea and decided to take him back to the US and then the world wound out they'd done that, well i think all i could do is cry about their stupidity, how pissed would Al-Qaeda be! I think id have to start believing 2012 doomsday theories if we found that out November/December next year :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fitz- I totally know what you're saying, I would be much more inclined to believe the Government if they had watertight stories. As much as I try to apply critical thinking to all of my life, the Government is one of those sources who you would hope would always be truthful on such matters- sadly, they sometimes aren't, and it makes a lot of people distrust them.

    And Hypernova- Yes, that would be extremely silly, and to be honest I'm pretty sure Al-Qaeda are fairly pissed off as it is! And doomsday theories make me sad. Cos they're ridiculous. ):

    ReplyDelete